The draft Yancoal Southey Project Enviromental Impact Statement (EIS) was submitted to the Ministry of Enviroment (Sasktchewan Enriromental Assessment Review Panel) in July of 2015. The EIS was deemed technically sufficient in March 2016 and the enviromental assessment was approved with conditions on August 9, 2016.
To date all of the design work has been completed by AMEC Foster Wheeler:
- the Scoping Study or Preliminary Economic Assessment (PEA) was completed from October 2012 to July 2013,
- the Prefeasibility Study from November 2013 to September 2014, and
- the Feasibility from February 2015 to February 2016
The environmental baseline work was initiated in 2012, as well as the effects assessment work. All of the environmental work was completed by Golder Associates Ltd.
- the Yancoal Canada’s Southey Project Technical Proposal was submitted in February 2015,
- the draft Yancoal Southey Project Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) was submitted in July of 2015 to the Ministry of Environment.
This documents details the environmental assessment completed for the project, providing the public and regulators will all the information needed to make an educated decision regarding the future of the project. In March of 2016, the Ministry of Environment communicated that the technical review of the EIS was complete, and that the Saskatchewan Environmental Assessment Review Panel concluded the report to be technically sufficient and that acceptable engagement with the public was completed during the early stages of project development and the review process.